Friday, May 27, 2011

Game Culture and Identity

The first formal videogame (ie graphical computer game) was "Spacewar!" And I think it's safe to say that next to no one identified with it, found much of a persona in the context of the game, or even really played the game. Those that did, however, played along with the simulation. They stared into a small terminal screen and allowed for the suspension of disbelief enough to pretend that they were piloting an spacecraft (or expected to be simulating as much anyway).

There is a forked development chain that brings us what we would today perceive as the modern videogame. Early games (from the 70s to early 80s) of the golden age of arcade games in the US saw games that were kind of simulations or continuous trials of sorts. Games like Galaga, Pacman, Pong. One simply played for their score. The player was, however, immersed in a virtual simulated reality, even if simplistic. Pong ≠ tennis. Pong's played on a television. But that player IS their paddle. One is able to extend their sense of self and movements into the flow of controls granted by the handheld controller.

The other side of this development chain took place in Japan. Chris Kohler of Wired Magazine's Game Life blog writes in his book Power Up: How the Japanese Gave Videogames a Second Life that Shigeru Miyamoto's Donkey Kong was the first game to have a cinematic flow to it. That is, the game had a clear beginning, middle, and end. If anything, these games employed a philosophy Miyamoto implies of creating games that are controlled environments with enough player-control to FEEL like the player is winning by originality.

But, backtracking, Sherry Turkle calls upon a different gaming path. RPG's (Role Playing Games). The tabletop originals like Dungeons & Dragons. While games like Donkey Kong and Mario certainly had an effect on RPG's (like the concepts of bosses and how story is structured in videogame counterparts), the games themselves are all about the social and character aspect. Players / friends get together to interact, play, and NOT be themselves. To an extent, anyway. This interaction is changed by computers and videogames. While some do still play tabletop style RPG's (like me, for instance, I play D&D), there is a new paradigm by which players can enact a persona with ease, and a seemingly original environment. Then, they can beat their game, move onto another, try out another persona.

Turkle points out that the computer is more than a task-accomplishing tool, but also a means of interaction and socializing, shaping our outlooks and inner-perspectives. Games are a big chunk of that process.

Personally, the Nintendo game Animal Crossing is probably my most arbitrary roleplaying vice (that I can recall). I can think of less justification for playing it than playing D&D. And yet, I'm an avid fan. My father teasingly asks if I'm playing "that game where you do nothing" as I (or my avatar anyway, complete with a semi-personalized face and clothing I've picked) scurries through my town (repeat: my town), fulfilling requests for my neighbors and shopping for my house. In words these just sound like... chores? But they're goals, challenges, in calm little world where my avatar takes pride in the layout of his house, the collection of videogames, and the town he lives in. There is an element of control that isn't my own, but a town that is. The town encompasses hobbies and amusing ways to pass the time. So, I think as long as Nintendo keeps releasing them (original games or not), I'll be buying them. And subsequently planting flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment